THE 1,000-KM EVENT
Pierre Lavoie invites all experienced and devoted cyclists to the 6th annual 1,000-km event, to take place from June 12 to June 15, 2014. This major endeavour of the Grand défi Pierre Lavoie is sure to rally all of Quebec, as it did in its first two years.
A Spectacular Cycling Marathon
Cycling 1,000 km in 60 hours. Travelling from Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean to Montréal. Seeing Québec and many other cities across the province where stops are scheduled. That’s what the 1,000‑km event is all about.
The number of cyclists who wish to participate in the event grows each year, and spaces go quickly. In 2013, because of high demand, we made room for an additional 10 teams. As always, Pierre will lead the pack along the entire route while teams of four or five cyclists switch off behind him.
The 1,000-km event is a major happening supported by a devoted team of organizers and volunteers. The work and energy of a hundred or so volunteers is coordinated by an organizing committee, most of whose members come from Saguenay.
Two new features in the 2013 program will return in 2014
1. Each 2014 team must partner with an elementary school of its choice. The goal of this partnership is to get the school to register for May’s Get up and move! challenge. In addition, teams act as sponsors of students’ healthy life habits. Funds raised by the teams that exceed the team registration fee will be returned to the schools.
2. Teams are invited to introduce as a member someone who wishes to become more active. The addition of a team member who wants to change his or her lifestyle and join the health improvement movement is strongly recommended, though not required.
An Event Where Hope Shines
The Grand défi Pierre Lavoie raised 2 million dollars in 2013 to promote healthy life habits among young people and support hereditary orphan disease research through the Grand défi Pierre Lavoie Foundation’s scholarships and grants and through the school sponsorship program.
School sponsorships were a great success!
Participants in the 1,000-km event raised $1 400,000 through the school sponsorship program in 2013. Each cycling team was invited to partner with one or several elementary schools and encourage them to register for the Get Up and Move contest. In return, the Grand défi Pierre Lavoie donated all the money raised in excess of team registration fees to the sponsored schools. In total, 205 teams participated, raising $1 400,000 that was redistributed to nearly 250 elementary schools for projects that promote healthy life habits.
Here are the top 25 teams who have raised the highest amounts in their sponsored school(s):
|1||PwC / Groupe Germain Hospitalité||55 555 $|
|2||ALT Hôtels||51 359 $|
|3||Club de hockey Canadien – Rouge||50 280 $|
|4||AON Hewitt||33 531 $|
|5||Consortium Montréal-Nord||30 185 $|
|6||Saputo 1||27 600 $|
|7||Alliance affaires et Commission scolaire Kamouraska-Rivière-du-Loup||26 498 $|
|8||Desjardins – Marché des capitaux||26 300 $|
|9||Club de hockey Canadien – Bleu||25 274 $|
|10||Services Financiers Groupe Investors 2||22 477 $|
|11||La Coop fédérée||21 750 $|
|12||Groupe Park Avenue||21 250 $|
|13||Jeux du Québec Longueuil 2014||20 950 $|
|14||Club de hockey Canadien – Habs||20 165 $|
|15||Assemblée nationale||19 780 $|
|16||Partenaire-Conseils Groupe Financier||19 490 $|
|17||Rio Tinto Alcan – Beautiful BC||19 400 $|
|18||Commission scolaire Marguerite-Bourgeoys||17 280 $|
|19||Roue Libre||17 250 $|
|20||Les 5 porteurs de l’espoir||17 155 $|
|21||RBC Dominion valeurs mobilières||16 815 $|
|22||Rio Tinto Fer et Titane 1||16 375 $|
|23||Club de hockey Canadien – Blanc||15 745 $|
|24||Commission scolaire Marie-Victorin||15 735 $|
|25||Club de hockey Canadien – Glorieux||15 610 $|
Proceeds from the 1,000-km event
All proceeds from the 1,000-km event are donated to the GO Foundation to support hereditary orphan disease research and projects promoting healthy life habits.
2013 GO Foundation recipients
The GO Foundation is proud to have awarded $637,500 last year in scholarships and grants to projects that promote healthy life habits among young people or research hereditary orphan diseases. Of the 140 projects that applied in the competition, which ended in April 2013, 56 were selected by four independent juries assigned to each of the Foundation’s areas of interest. Here is how the prizes were awarded:
Promotion of healthy life habits
- 30 grants of $5,000 each to elementary schools
- 5 grants of $25,000 each to community organizations or research projects
Hereditary orphan disease research
- 7 scholarships of $7,500 each to master’s students
- 3 scholarships of $10,000 each to doctoral students
- 9 grants of $25,000 each for research projects
Also in 2013, a research project on educational success and perseverance at school from the Pointe-de-l’Île schoolboard and theRegroupement québécois des maladies orphelines (RQMO)received a total of $55,000 in support from the Foundation.
A Team Achievement. A Unique Experience.
- The 1,000-km event is the perfect opportunity to push yourself to new heights. The event will…
- Pull you out of your comfort zone and bring you to discover untapped inner strength.
- Be an unforgettable adventure, filled with moments of intense effort and euphoria, shared with remarkable people all championing the same cause.
- Strengthen your own commitment to healthy living. The major media attention given to this event is the perfect platform to show that you, your company or your organization believes in what the Grand défi Pierre Lavoie stands for.